2.14.2008

From Common


Chi-town emcee Common has been an advocate for HIV/AIDS awareness for a while now. While checking my MySpace, I noticed that he had a new bulletin up. It's a contest, offering a poet/songwriter/artist a chance to have Common perform their lyrics. Check it out here for more detailed information. Below, I have copied and pasted this from XXLmag.com.

Common and MTV Networks have teamed up to host the “A Minute” lyric writing contest to encourage HIV testing amongst young people. In order to enter, contestants must submit an original lyrical composition that will inspire and encourage listeners to get tested for HIV. The piece can be in any musical style; including rap, rock, or spoken word, but must be under one minute long. The winning submission will then be performed by Common in an ad that will air on the MTV networks and online. The competition begins today and is open to anybody between the ages of 13 and 25. In order to enter, you can submit your lyrics in text, audio or video form at the contest website www.aminutecontest.com. Submissions must be received between February 14 and March 27.


I thought about submitting something, then I realized that I didn't really care too much about having someone else perform my lyrics.

But I do support the cause. I guess in the end, awareness/action is what's important.

BUT.

This is my little tidbit. After I read the information on the website, and while I was thinking about whether I would submit something or not, this is what I came up with.

See,

We breath life and death in quick, short doses

Grow in youth and get old real soon, like Moses

Souls meet droves of hold ups, won’t hold us

Feed mine with signs of peace, beat these snakes and cobras

Hold the phone and the voicemail, answer calls for mo’ trust

Trust me. We cannot collect hope with mo’ dust

Instill motivation and movement, this revolution needs focus

We must take strides, take pride, because we alone will hold us

This is more than latex, dispose the lies they told us

This is more than a bump-n-grind, more than 2, 3, 4 thrusts

We need to make certain moves, made to continuously mold us.

Enough with dishing raw deals, dealt some boloney, like cold cuts

Get it preened and pristine, like from naps to ‘fro cuts

Knowledge helps, know who, know why and know what

Will help get it moving forward, digest, no throw ups

And keep your game up, because the future needs all of us.

2 comments:

I.Am.Spoken.Word. said...

geez.

i still think you need to submit this. and it really has nothing to do with it being good enough to win.

it needs to be put out there.

asap.

illness, poet.

I.Am.Spoken.Word. said...

ouch.

burns just like the 1st time i read it.