3.10.2008

Love Musings #2


Have you ever wondered why Superman does what he does?

I mean, I know that he's a fictional character that possesses the strength of God-knows-what, but venture with me for a second.

This man has a nice job, working for a prestigious newspaper in a big city. He's got his parents, who doubtlessly still love him. He's not bad looking (no homo), even in his glasses. And he works (rather closely, might I add), with the lustrous Lois Lane, day in and out. Oh yeah, and he's more powerful than a locomotive, faster than a yadda-yadda-yadda...

So with all of this going for him, why in the world would he go through the stress of changing in and out of his clothes everytime some knucklehead decides to try and blow up the world? Why put himself through the whole shpiel of flying here and there and back again, just because some idiot wants to hold up a bank in Southeast Asia?

Because he knows, deep inside, that it's the right thing, and he holds himself accountable.

I mean, I don't doubt that some nights, he just wants to throw on a Chappelle's Show DVD, order some Domino's and call it. But he knows that it is in his power to actually do something about all the wrong that takes place in this miserable world of ours. Even if he doesn't belong to it.

Once again, I'm kinda free-balling here, but I think that the same ethic is included, but not limited to love.

I'm an advocate of autonomy, but I got a lesson with all of that recently. Somehow, I thought that I was exempt from certain accountability issues. I thought that all was needed was the truth about the situation, and each person should go along with whatever they thought was right. For example:

"Hey baby, should we really go to that club? It looks shady..."
"Well, you don't have to go if you don't want to. I know I'm going."
"Wait...you're going?"
"Yeah."
"But...what about me?"
"Well, if you don't wanna go, you don't have to go."

That was just a rough exaggeration, but see how unfair that is?

Basically, both members of the relationship need to keep each other accountable. If the love is really there, this (in my opinion) is a way to really have each other's back. Simply put, right is right is right is right.

Hopefully, you kids aren't walking into shady-looking clubs. Superman might have this night off.

2 comments:

I.Am.Spoken.Word. said...

needless to say, this is profound in the simplest way.

very nicely put.

not a musing of a mere mortal, but the gatherings of an open heart.
keep your pen flowing.

Mizrepresent said...

That was cute...and who wouldn't want a superman in their life, even if he didn't don a cape.