8.30.2010

Monster?...



So, since I'm trying to get back in my groove of writing, I thought I'd take the opportunity and speak out and sound off on something.

A few weeks ago, after returning to VA to continue my pursuit of my Masters in Professional Counseling, me and m'lady's family gathered to eat together at a local buffet spot. General chillness and fatty fat groans were heard and enjoyed all around. As we finished, we stepped outside and chit-chatted a little. We sang some songs, I performed a piece, and then...we started to talk about music.

More specifically, we started to talk about hip-hop. The lightening rod?

Everyone's favorite, Mr. Kanye West.

His single, "Power" had just released an accompanied music video.



After seeing it, I was rather disturbed. And I'm pretty sure that none of the adults there had seen the video. Either way, the parents had an interesting scope on Mr. West. My dad was less than amused about Kanye's antics that had everyone's attention for a while. We spoke for a good bit about what he may have been going through, the direction that his music has been going, from "The College Dropout" to "Graduation" (I'm purposely excluding "808s and Heartbreak" because it doesn't count as a Kanye album to me...imo). I tried to present the perspective of his emotional state after losing his mom, the end of his relationship, etc. We ended speaking more about the need for today's artists to exercise a healthy dose of professional accountability. They may be human, no more privy to the mayhem and emotions of life than you or I, but they are in an amazing place of influence and should hold that responsibility with reverence.

That brings me to the purpose of this post.

I just heard the new song, "Monster".

Has anyone seen Jay-Z's music video for "On To Next One"? If you have, can remember the eerie feeling you felt when you saw all those questionable, random images pop-up? Well, that's kinda how I felt with this song.

(First of all, is this even Kanye's song? In my opinion, once again, Nicki Minaj KILT this song in such a way, I seriously think that this is her song. I mean, seriously. Rick Ross was random, Jay sounded dark and evul as all getout, 'Ye was *meh*, but Nicki? I don't even like her like that.)

I'm all for artistic expression. But some things need to have some for of accountability, some sort of responsibility, some kind of "Hey, maybe this isn't such a great idea. This might do more damage than good."

Seriously. I've heard enough metaphors about being a beast, martian, extra-terrestrial, sick-wit-it, et cetera. But an entire song dedicated to every metaphorical aspect of a monstrosity? How much until it stops being art?

I thought to myself:

  1. What will the music video look like? "Power" was creepy enough.
  2. Music is supposed to uplift isn't it? Even through the muck of the worst of what you may be feeling, shouldn't some part of it encourage, inspire, speak life? Let us not forget the root of the word...
  3. What is Kanye going through? Me and Spoken.Word were talking about Kanye's lyrical content and the changes its gone through. We agreed that it hasn't necessarily grown, just...changed. Like Snoop Dogg's face over the years. (Seriously. How does he look 50 years older in the span of 15 years, but Stacey Dash looks as young as me?)
  4. What in the firey heck is up with Minaj's voice/multiple personality disorder?
The response will probably be something like, "It's just music." Please. Saying it's just music is like saying SARS was/is just a case of the sniffles.

The song is straight up and down creepy.

And I wish that the bars were crap. I wish they were wack, not creative, dry and healthy (you know, opposite of sick?). But they weren't that bad. The production was tight. Roster was tight. And even though Nicki bested everyone else on the track, the lyrics were (questionable, but) dope.

I guess I'm coming from the angle that one weak-willed kid who knows no better. I'm wondering how much work is being done to actually add life and beauty to the airwaves. Songs like this, after they earn acclaim, don't help. There will be rallies about this song (I'm calling it now.) and anti-hip-hop speeches all over. Talks about demonic advocacy and "Satan's Music". It makes me sad to see my music set itself up like this.

What say ye? Is this track just another exhibit in fierce and imaginative lyricism? Or is it something to worry about? Is it both? Neither?

1 comment:

Don said...

agreed. minaj wrote and rapped some pretty solid verses on Monster and, as you stated, i hardly prefer her music. the verse reminded me of her bars in Luda's My Chick Bad. an extension of that mood, i suppose. blogger skinny black girl said minaj jammed at least four different personalities into her verse. ha. i honestly cannot say what is the deal with Kanye's music. it definitely differs from his initial concept and material in a sorta night and day manner. his mom's unfortunate death? could be. amber rose? i can believe that. too funny @ SARS joke.