12.23.2008

Comin' To Break You Off: 2008

This year. Oh man. I can't begin to describe it...

Fortunately, my lurk-ish tendencies drew me to Muze's spot, and she had this thang-thang up, so I figured since it's cold outside, and I'm still in my bed, I might as well do this and have some fun with it.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?

A bit of traveling. From South Carolina to DC to NJ to Missouri to VA. I've also moved into my first apartment. Boom.


2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I can't even remember what my resolutions were. It was probably something I always say, like "Gotta lose weight" or "Save your money"...and I'll probably make more for '09. But Muze's idea of 3-month intervals sounds like a sweet idea...


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Nope.


4. Did anyone close to you die?

No, but there were definitely some scares and false alarms.


5. What countries did you visit?

Countries? None, but I'm graduating in May, so who knows what Ill try to do.


6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

A freaking car. The money to support such an endeavor. The money for printing my book (Comin' to a Black Coffee Shop Near You!). Pretty much, money.


7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

The day I led three 10-year-old boys in the Sinner's Prayer for the first time.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

There are a few, but I think pulling off this semester amid the circumstances was a huge blessing.


9. What was your biggest failure?

Not listening to God more. Oy, that was stupid.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I remember a few weeks back I was sicker than I've ever been. Coughing hard enough to garner a headache each time around, and enough phlegm to start its own "Fear Factor" episode.


11. What was the best thing you bought?

My laptop, snitches! A Dell Inspiron 1525 purchased in MY NAME. Boom.


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My little brother. My man came through this semester on the honor roll, and I am amazingly proud of him, because he definitely had a lot in his way. But he did it! I'm thinking of taking him to a titty bar...

I'm kidding.


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

One of my best friends. I wouldn't say depressed, but I really wish things were clearer/easier for him.


14. Where did most of your money go?

Bills, bills, bills. Oh, and Sheetz. And there was a solid two weeks where all I ate was McDonalds, because of that Monopoly thing. Baaaaad idea.


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Going to Kamp in Missouri and coming back to school resident status.


16. What song will always remind you of 2008?

"Hero" by Nas.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- i. happier or sadder? happier
- ii. thinner or fatter? actually, i think i maintain the chub. but love it while it's here, cuz i'm getting rid it, come '09.
- iii. richer or poorer? definitely poorer.


18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

praying and working out.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

dwelling in my own ego/pride, playing the part of counselor instead of friend, less defense.


20. Did you fall in love in 2008?

already there.


21. How many one-night stands?

none.


22. What was your favorite TV program?

I've always liked the Office, but I just recently got turned on to Scrubs.


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Hate is such a strong word. But there is someone I'd love to punch in the throat...


24. What was the best book you read?

I've said it once, I'll say it again. C.S. Lewis is a beast, and reading his stuff is edifying. At least for me. "Mere Christianity" is one of THOSE.


25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

John Legend's new joint, all the other Roots' albums that I didn't have, and Little Brother, which I shall dub "The South's Greatest Secret".


26. What did you want and get?

mild independence.


27. What did you want and not get?

a car. a job. my way.


28. What were your favorite films of this year?

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Wanted, Zack and Miri..., Iron Man, Dark Knight, Eagle Eye, Wall-E, Kung-Fu Panda...


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I had the day off, so I bought a hotel room in MO, watched some tv and talked on the phone. Hello 21.


30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

This is probably really shallow, but having more money would've made a bit more things possible.


31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

Makin' It Work With Whatcha' Got, ya dig?


32. What kept you sane?

My iPod, my family and friends, my God, and my lady.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Honestly, none are coming to mind. I mean, Amy Smart could still get it, but I don't think "fancy" is synonymous with "shaggadelic".


34. What political issue stirred you the most?

The entire election. As if you couldn't have guess at that one.


35. Whom did you miss?

David, Diana, Courtnie, Chris, and My Fam.


36. Who was the best new person(s) you met?

KAA Staff, Shanada (she's not new, but i definitely got to know her better).


37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:

Keep Christ first, in between and last. Always.

Love.

Believe.

And have a hell of a lot of fun while doing it.



38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

"If you could you would get rid of me
what you gonna do when a nigga got to go hard
but i wont let you get to me
you should already figure imma go hard
if you were as real as me
you would never let another nigga step in yo yard
makin money aint sh*t to me
this in my veins and it gets to my heart
so i am, i will , i gots to go
you got another way to live you gots to go hard
i am gettin it in until the end i got to go, go, go , go hard" -'Go Hard - Kanye West, T-Pain'.



Alright kids. I tag everyone and anyone. But I would like to know who's doing it, so...gimme love?

1 comment:

I.Am.Spoken.Word. said...

poorer but still happier.

i call that a pretty successful year.