4.03.2008

This or That Pt.1

In the realm of psychology, the infamous Sigmund Freud has come up with three facets of human nature that split up our psyche.

The Id.

The Super-Ego.

The Ego.


The Id is the force that makes us crazy, carnal creatures. The Id is what makes males want to lay the pipe any day, any moment, any where, no matter what. The Id doesn't care about the rules of society. The Id snatches up food without paying, sex with/without playing, fun without pause or pretense. The Id gets high, drunk, crunk, wild, stupid, giddy, and happy, all with orgasmic pleasure. Hence, tt's our "pleasure principle", our humanity, our weakness, our...IDGAF (I Don't Give A F*$&).

The Super-Ego is the policeman, the pastor, the one who says not to. The Super-Ego, also known as the Party Pooper or the Cock Blocker. The Super-Ego crashes the Id's party, making everything STOP.
Put down that weed.
Don't have sex with that girl. No, not even head.
You are not supposed to lie on your 1040. Because those are not your kids.

The Ego is the mediator. The Ego compromises. The Ego is the one who tells you that you can't get high, but you can do something else to give you a high. The Ego's job is also usually the hardest, because it has to establish a balance between the Trifling Id and the Uptight Stup...I mean, Super Ego.
Fornication vs. Abstinence
Sobriety vs. Intoxication
Honesty vs. Mo' Money
The ego is the mediator between the id and the super-ego, trying to ensure that the needs of both the id and the super-ego are met. It is said to operate on a reality principle, meaning it deals with the id and the super-ego; allowing them to express their desires, drives and morals in realistic and socially appropriate ways. It is said that the ego stands for reason and caution, developing with age. Sigmund Freud had used an analogy which likened the ego to a rider and a horse; the ego being the rider while the id being the horse. The horse provides the energy and the means of obtaining the energy and information need, while the rider ultimately controls the direction it wants to go. However, due to unfavorable conditions, sometimes the horse makes its own decisions over the rocky terrain.


The problem comes with the decision that has to be made. We all have an innate sense of what is right. Because it's right. Right is right is right is right. Period. In the same vein, wrong is wrong is wrong is wrong. Maybe it depends on how we grew up. Maybe we're establishing this as we speak. Whatever it is, we need to choose between the three, and usually, its the Ego that's getting the workout.

How is one to choose? When does Common Sense become practiced?

In this world, it's getting harder to choose. I mean, c'mon, something are obvious (rape is not good. love-making is good.), but when the lines get blurry is when ego takes a beating from some things and employs some defense mechanisms.

But we still know what's right. As a Christian, I know what's right. With a slight edit on what Dave Chappelle said, every Christian is a qualified paralegal. We know. Exodus isn't that complicated.

What am I trying to say? I don't even know. I guess I'm just expressing my frustration at the whole thing. A dictionary full of do's and don'ts, but no one tells you when/how/if the lines could/should get crossed. I'm frustrated with worried about what I'm not supposed to do. And its not complicated either. Something are really, really simple. Life moves on.

I feel like I have so many questions, but so many of them are silenced because of the Super-Ego. Or because I know what the answer is already, but I don't know the answer.

Whatever. I guess the Super-Ego is best anyways.

Something.

I don't know.

I'm hungry.

4 comments:

B said...

I'm not a dude, but I do let the id get the best of me... uhm. on occassion.

yeah. occasion..

I.Am.Spoken.Word. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I.Am.Spoken.Word. said...

mmm.the id picture looks like fun.

::ahem::

Personally, I think Freud was a total freakazoid...(emphasis on Freak), but this, the "3 parts of personality", is too profound to be left-field.

...and i feel you.

Blah Blah Blah said...

Or because I know what the answer is already, but I don't know the answer.

Is it that, you just need confirmation that if you do some good shit, it will be recognized and if you do some fucked up shit, it will be justified.

I know right from wrong. I know about consequence...but my Id is a bitch sometimes and holds the door closed to my SuperE.