4.07.2008

Oh, To Be A LadyFace...

I couldn't be a female.

Obviously enough, I am not, but I don't think that I could take it. I'd probably be a lesbian or something, but there's no way that I could take on the monumental day-to-day bidnis of being a ladyface. Sorry.

There are parts of being female that astound me, some parts that disturb me, other parts that make me shake my head and thank God for these testicles that so dutifully swang low.

For example, there's the HUGE issue of the societal demands. Everywhere you look, you see all of these skinny, size 0 models. (Note: Allow me to clarify. If you are just naturally small, then props to you. My beef is with the ad agencies that promote this as the only acceptable form of beauty. Personally, I like my women like I like my soup: Chunky, but healthy. But I digress...) I honestly feel that it is rather unfair. And that's not to say that guys don't go through the pressures of looking like some diesel; however, in my own personal journey, I realized that...I...don't...care.
But back to the topic.
I don't know if I could handle those kinds of demands. You've gotta have this skintone, be this old, have this much booty, this much boobie, not too much thigh, just enough hair, blah blah blah.
This is why I love the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty. Seriously, I think there need to be more campaigns like this. Enough with the super-dooper skinny skinny template of beauty. Let's throw some 36s in there. A couple of (Natural) A, B, C, D cups.

Now that I think about it, I think that the issue is to advocate self-appreciation and self-esteem. Feeling comfortable in our own skin. Which leads me to my next point...

All that make-up? Couldn't do it. I guess I'm an au naturale brother. There's no need for all that face goop. There was a girl in college that I remember especially. I remember her, because her face looked painted on. There was one event in particular that I remember. We were in the pool, acting a bunch of fools. One of us saw her and watched her. We noticed that she still had make-up on. I don't know what the other guys were looking at; I didn't thinks she would jump in the pool with all of that cake on her face.
Alas, she did.

Even better, as she emerged from the pool (after about 30 minutes of frolicking around and whatnot), her make-up was still glued onto her face.
Have you have been putting on the Vaseline or Cocoa Butter in the morning, but then tried to wash it off? It's hard, isn't it? Because, something about the way the Vaseline/Cocoa Butter is made, it just...indestructible.
My friends and I nicknamed her "The Maybelline Queen". Why? Not because we were mean...okay, maybe it was a little rough.
Long story short, I know that sometimes, a lil' bit is all that is needed. And by all means, a lil' bit will get the job done. But I'm way too ignorant to be worrying about applying some gunk to my face all the time. What you see is what you get.

Not to mention the nasty surprise we get when we see what the person actually looks like underneath it all (Kinda like the famous picture to the right depicts. Surprise, Ja Rule!).

And then there are all the obvious things:

1. Monthlies
2. The Incessant Need for Accessories
3. ....Monthlies...

But then I realize, I may just be a lazy bum. Cuz, seriously, who would rather go through all of that? Seriously. Tell me you wouldn't rather laze around, scratching unmentionables and being gross on purpose!

You're lying.

9 comments:

I.Am.Spoken.Word. said...

::ahem::

expect a woman's version of this.

not that i don't totally agree with 75% of this...it's just...you know. Gotta even the score.

:0). I enjoyed the read.

B said...

I hate all the pressure put on women to look like a size 0. It doesn't make any damn sense..

Don said...

Yep, I agree.

A woman definitely has their fair share of "challenges" in this world, especially when they start trying to conform to society's forever-changing ideas. And, as you stated, then there is the matter of the "stomach cramps." LOL.

wow @ that older picture of Ashanti.

Eb the Celeb said...

Nice post from a male...we do have pressures as little girls of what women should look like and act like that I dont think men have to deal with... and then there's the monthlies like you called them... twice at that... I love being a woman... there's certain things and a certain essence about us that will always make us the greatest creatures that ever walked the earth. Although I would like to be a man for a dang and let my balls dutifully swang low like you said...lol

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

Ok first of all mad at the pic of Ashanti, homegirl came a long way…

Second, will you marry me? Lol naw this is a topic I always write essays on, because F*ck like 20% (not even) of women fit into society’s beauty standards and men don’t even like women with those standards. They think they do, but they don’t lol

I cut out TV and most magazines from my life and it has really helped with my self esteem. Other than that, I LOVE being a woman! The monthlies become a part of you, kind of like when ya'll scratch your balls...

MsP

Poe said...

You have written a brilliant piece! I enjoyed the read. And to quote the sista above me. Will you marry me? No? At least can I get your number? lol. Thanks again for the read!

Blah Blah Blah said...

...so I'm NOT suppose to laze around, scratching unmentionables and be gross?
Damn.

Doesn't help when everyone in NYC is beautiful to begin with...and I am not necessarily speaking about the models...but the dominicans, puerto ricans, desi chicks...NY is just a magnet for beautiful people in general. Sucks living here....lol

Tipp said...

Congratulations. You are one of the few men who I think can truly understand how hard it is to be a woman. You are a rare breed my friend, a rare breed.

Spread the knowledge. It isn't easy!

Unknown said...

@ spoken.word: i'd be let down if i didn't get a woman's perspective. or...how about a woman's perspective on being a male? that sounds like fun...

@ deutlich: its also funny, because they sometime wear outfits to "accentualize" or "enhance" particular bodyparts. i'm like, how about you go eat a drumstick?

@don: i tell ya, i sometimes weep for the fairer sex. but i wouldn't switch for anything in the world. J.Brown said it the best though. It's a man's world, but we all know that we wouldn't be ish without dem ladies.

@eb: yeah, you would love being a guy. seriously, its tons of fun. imagine a life of ball-scratching, football playing, ish-talking, Halo 1,2 and 3, etc.

you'd like it.

@mspuddin: i already know what kind of women i like. unfortunatly, she's not in any of these magazines...unless it's a picture of sanaa lathan's fine behind. or jill scott.
size 0? not for me. i'll pass, thank you kindly.

@poe: thanks for the kudos, stay tuned! i might just say something unsavory one day...

@blah: what part of NY are you talking about? i've seen all kinds of people: pretty, unpretty, toe up from the flo up, shasty mcnasties and lovelies. its a mixed bag over there.

@ tipp: thanks for visiting! rare breeds are a fun species, aren't they?