9.18.2008

Love Musings #3


I really like my iTunes/iPod.

Really. I do. I mean, I might complain about it when it freezes, threaten to blow it away with a shotgun whenever it decides to update at a time when it's really not appreciated, but at the end of the day, I really like my computer.

And I'd better. I spent a good portion of the money on it, money that could have probably went towards the car that I still don't have.

In this declared admiration for my technology, I realize that this expands further than its operational capabilities. I use iTunes on my computer, but I use my computer for more than that. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, and I can't forget all the goodies that came pre-installed, like the calculator, games (all Solitare fiends know what I'm talking about) and the like. There is more to my computer than my favorite application.

I recently came across another issue in the fickle tendencies of love.

When in relationships, we tend to capitalize on the traits that we particularly favor. And that makes sense, looking at it objectively. I'm not going to jump through hoops for someone who's favorite tv show is a blatant insult against intelligence. I won't go ga-ga for a lady who would rather do her make-up than play some ball.

My particular cup of tea? A couple of things:

  • Honest to God conversations. Easy conversation. Just plain-ol'-talking. I love it. I LOVE IT. It really makes my heart flutter, peeking inside a ladyface's brain (as confusing as it may get).
  • Writing. I grew up being that kid that was always being compared and contrasted to Steve Urkel...until I discovered poetry. I truly believe that the written word was what God decided to give to me, in the stead of verticale growth and being smooth-n-slick with the ladies. Writing is all I have, all I know, all I am. I am synonomous with poetry. And if she can do that too? Aw yeah...
And while I may love those things in my lady, if I love her like I say I do, I have to see more than her than what tworks my buttons.

The question posed to me was this: If she no longer wrote, would I still love her?

As much as I bleed, sweat and cry prose, my love for her is so much more than what is on a page/blog/notebook. I can't limit how I feel for her to what we have in common.

Kind of like loving God/God's love for us. It's more than when He helps us pay rent or pass that exam. God is bigger than what He may or may not do for us. Loving her is more than what "that thing" is.

And my computer still has Windows Media Player, right?

1 comment:

I.Am.Spoken.Word. said...

wow.

honestly, it makes more sense now that i'm reading it from your perspective. which is why "two heads are better than one".

peaceandlove.