1.24.2008

I Heart HipRockSoul

One of the saddest facts about the music business, in my humble opinion, is the fact that a lot of the talents that exist in the world will never be well known. Here in America, we can't get enough of the crap rappers, voiceless vixens and tuneless models. There are too many truly gifted souls out there that are unknown. Instead of giving the people something that will truly uplift them, record executive continue to pump out these "perfect formulas for superstardom". And we allow the cycle to continue.

But. This is not the direction I wanted to take this entry.

I make it a point to choose my music carefully. Yes, some things will fall through the cracks, but any one who knows me knows that I am not one to follow the trend of listening to and loving whatever is on the Top 40.

For the past few years, my favorite Hip-Hop band is 4th Avenue Jones.

Practically unknown among basic hip-hop circles, this band a gem in a field of pebbles. I first heard them on DJ Maj's The Ringleader Mixtape, and I was hooked ever since. It turns out that their story is almost literally a rags-to-riches story, even though they are still coming up.

The Jones' crew have a few albums under their belt:

2000: No Plan B
2002: Respect
2003: No Plan B, Pt. II
2003: Gumbo
2004: HipRockSoul
2005: Stereo: The Evolution of HipRockSoul

Like a madman, I went out and purchased each album I could get my hands on. First, I bought Stereo which was being released at the time. After that first purchase, I started at the top and bought No Plan B, Respect and No Plan B, PT. II. However, to my chagrin, Gumbo and HipRockSoul were sold out. I maintained my cool, because I honestly believed that there would be more in stock in a matter of weeks.

This was not the case.

Those two albums have evaded me for the past three years. I have looked high and low. I've searched the limits of Amazon.com, ebay.com and I may be wrong, but I don't think any one person has googled as much as I have for those two albums.

However. A silver lining appeared out of nowhere. Thanks to the kindness of a complete stranger's heart, I have receive my two rogue albums. I don't think I've felt such joy.

I urge all to go after 4th Avenue Jones and support music. Maybe they aren't your particular cup of tea. Whatever. Real music needs to survive nowadays.

I was going somewhere with this blog. I lost it. I blame this 4thAve I have bumping in my headphones.

Jealous? You should be.



----------------
Now playing: 4th Avenue Jones' - Don't Talk No More (f. Mystic & NeNe White)
via FoxyTunes

No comments: