1.16.2009

Show-Off

One of the cockiest phrases ever is:

"When God made me, he was showing off."

It's always someone lookin' crazy fly. You wouldn't see a bum saying that, would you? You can't readily associate God with the stench of whiskey and throw-up.

Naturally, we can assume that whoever is saying this is some type of good-looking. And even if someone is saying that about someone else, I don't think they would choose anything less than pleasant to describe.

Maybe it's a part of our nature as man, or maybe we've been taught to understand God as utter perfection. As a matter of fact, I have a few people/things of my own whom I would instinctively think perfectly captured God's knack for making all things good and whatnot:




All pictures of beauty. All created by God, right?

So, what about this?


I consider myself to be an average looking person. Not too bad, nothing to scream about. Simply put...normal.

Upon thinking about it, what does that mean? Can I say that God was showing off when he made me?

I'm not Will Smith. I'm not Idris Elba or any other bronze skinned Adonis. I don't have chiseled abs or amazing pecs. I don't even think I'm insanely talented. I write poetry, short stories and the like. I try to put everything I have into every single thing I write, but that doesn't place me at the upper echelon of existence. There are tons of better writers out there than I. There are better singers, better dancers, better looking people.

I am not perfect by any means. So...does this mean that I am not allowed to say that God was showing off when he made me?

I think there remains something to be said about God and his design.

We know that He is the epitome of perfection. He is perfection. He is the trifecta of omni: omni-present, omni-potent, omni-scient. All places, all powerful, all knowing. So, just from that deduction, creating supermodels and natural treasures should be a cakewalk for him. He can create a sexy army of Jill Scotts and Kerry Washingtons by sneezing. He can paint immaculate canvasses with less than the least bit of effort. It's nothing for Him.

But to create something so incredibly unique? There are unique stars, unique planets, unique snowflakes, but unique me? There is only one.

There is only one.

And I know that there are billions of snowflakes that fall every winter, but the design is rather simple when compared to each and every one of us.

We are beautifully and wonderfully and uniquely and amazingly and divinely made.

Who out there can dance like me? Sing like me? Think like me? Write like me? Cry like me? Fart like me? Burp like me? Shout like me? Step like me? Move like me? Speak like me? I'm like a gumbo of awesomeness.

So...
God was showing off when he made me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos. But i have a question 4 u bro...u still aiming for that eight pack? :-)

Hope ur well,

Tiff

Unknown said...

of course, i'm aiming for the eight pack. abs like BLAM-BLAM-BLAM. be-lee dat.