3.18.2007

The First Line

If you're a poet, what I'm about to talk about is no major secret. This is a plight that every writer is familiar with. If you consider yourself a Child of the Pen, then we can all call out the topic of this entry in unison, like the theme of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

The First Line.

It's as if the gift of writing is not without its troubles and trials.

You'd have the perfect thoughts. The most poetic situation would present itself to you: God's eye, presented as the bluest sky; rushing rapids, reminding you of the rush of your first kiss; the most beautiful woman/man in the entire cosmos who is never going to notice you, etc.

The only problem is, how do you start? How do you get the idea from your heart to your hand, your mind to your pen, your soul to the empty screen/paper?

Of course, as annoying as this issue is, it is not without answer. Otherwise, I probably would've given up a long time ago. A very helpful modern translation of Job Chapter 32 Verses 18 to 22 says,:
"I'm ready to speak my piece. That's right! It's my turn -- and it's about time! I've got a lot to say, and I'm bursting to say it. The pressure has built up, like lava beneath the earth. I'm a volcano ready to blow. I have to speak -- I have no choice. I have to say what's on my heart, and I'm going to say it straight -- the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I was never any good at bootlicking; my Maker would make short work of me if I started in now!"

Stronger than the force of a thousand bulls, when you have to write, not much can keep you from fulfilling that task. Sometimes, all you need is time.

Besides, wine is not the only thing that gets better with time. Look at your closet. See?

Sometimes, the perfect beginning needs to hit you repeatedly. Or mercilessly. Maybe you need to listen to a certain song that literally THROWS the poem/blog/song out of you. Like the above verse states, it gets to the point where holding it in becomes akin to a health risk. As a matter of fact, psychologists will tell you that release will be more than theraputic.

And after that first line? It'll all flow like Niagara Falls (Aren't you tired of that analogy?).

No comments: